Tuesday 12 April 2011

Judgement

Today's blog post is a post with relevance to the letter J and that J is Judgement. Judgement is the name of a piece of flash fiction I entered into a competition back in January and found out in January I had been longlisted. I have never been listed in the few competitions I had entered and when I say few, I think this is my third. My first failed to get there in time! My second, I heard nothing further from and this one was a longlisting. I'm so pleased with this and though it's not crime, I thought I'd share the piece of work with you. 

Judgement 


"What do you think?" 

"You need to lose weight. Your belly overhangs your belt and your hips are too wide" 

This hurt like a fist squeezing my heart, made all the more difficult knowing it was true. 

"your eyes aren't level, your nose is too wide and that extra chin makes you look as though you're being strangled." 

I knew I shouldn't go back for more but I couldn't help myself. This relationship was everything to me. I couldn't keep away, I needed the answers and honesty, no matter the cost. 

"What did you do to your hair today? It's not a good look on you." 

I put my hand up to my fringe, pulling it into place. Frustration and anger at myself welling in unison. My judge was honest and would never lie. I was at such a low every time we met. Eventually I started to avoid her. I spent time with other friends. We would laugh and it felt good. I became happy. I loved life and I didn't even think about her. 

One day we passed in the hallway. I was laughing at a joke when I saw her. I looked my old adversary in the eye. She matched my look. “OK” I smiled, “you have me, who is the fairest?” 

"You are. Your smile lights you up, brightens the room and all those around you." 

I smiled again and moved away. The mirror never lies.

9 comments:

  1. Great flash, Rebecca, well done for your longlisting with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, really nice :)

    Following you from A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful piece. I don't know how people can write flash fiction. I give you load of credit. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice :) I love flash fiction! Thank you for sharing.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judgement is fun to write. The bad guys really need to get it good in the end. A simple death will not suffice for all the wrongs they've committed. Their sins will find them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fabulous flash fiction! great word for the j post, and great meeting you through this a-z!
    nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great flash! Loved it from beginning to end.
    http://tyreanswritingspot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca - Thanks. I was really thrilled.

    Ju - Thank you. I'm now following you :)

    Susan - Thank you. I actually really love flash, but know it's not for everyone.

    Sarah - Thank you :)

    Lynn - Thanks :)

    Stephen - I absolutely agree.

    Thanks Nutschell :)

    Thanks Tyrean :)

    ReplyDelete