Friday 18 May 2012

Book Crossing

Yesterday I was talking books with a colleague at work and she mentioned something called book crossing. After she explained what it was, I was amazed, as a book lover, that I had never heard of it. I was also surprised, that when I tweeted the question, had anyone heard of book crossing, there was a deadly silence. 


So armed with a little knowledge, I looked up Bookcrossing and I am in LOVE with it!


Here are some of the things they say about it on their website, which explains what bookcrossing is and how it works. 



"Step 1. Label
Register your book and get a unique BookCrossing ID.

This BCID allows you to follow your specific book wherever it goes. Think of it as a passport enabling your book to travel the world without getting lost!"






"Step 2. Share
Now it’s time to pass it on!

Release it into the wild. Referred to as the "wild release" (and loved by so many BookCrossers), this type of sharing is a bit like nudging a baby bird out of the nest or sending your kid off to college. Your book doesn’t want to spend its life on your shelf gathering dust; it wants to get out there and touch lives! So leave your labeled book on a park bench on a summer day, in a train station, on the table in your favorite coffee shop -- anywhere it’s likely to be caught by another delighted reader. Then come back and read about your book’s new adventures!"





"Step 3. Follow
See where in the world your book goes, and who reads it!

Once you’ve labeled and shared it, follow your book’s adventures.




When another reader finds your book, they can enter the BCID on BookCrossing.com and report that it’s been caught. Journal entries about your book allow you to see where your book is, who's reading it now, and follow where it goes next. Some books tend to stay in one region while others really move! Your book may touch the life of a reader you never would've met, or it may just circulate among your friends.
At the time of this writing, over 850,000 active BookCrossers have collectively registered almost seven million books which are traveling around 130 countries! Imagine the world of opportunities for your book once you've labeled and shared it."

This sounds absolutely wonderful and I for one will be signing up. Imagine going on holiday and leaving a book behind, then seeing where it goes off to next. What an absolutely wonderful idea. Not only sharing books, but seeing them travel. Who else likes the look of this?!

15 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting.

    Knowing my luck if I tried to just leave a book somewhere I'd have hoards of people chasing me to return it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful idea. My co-written book has just been released. The most amazing coincidence is that Edith emailed me while I read about it here that she would use one of her copies for bookcrossing. The world is full of instances like this and it makes one wonder if everything is interlinked.

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is this? I'd never heard of it before, thanks for sharing. It sounds like so much fun and I love the pictures of the book traveling around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good idea in theory, but 'imagine going on holiday and leaving a book behind?' - no!! That would be like leaving on of my kids behind. I can't even give away books I don't like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of it, but never actually done it. I've seen similar things with dollar bills, but never did more than look at the stamp and go 'huh'. Though it would be interesting to see where a book ended up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing thing...I'll certainly check it out. Thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love book crossing! Have registered several books and released some, but still waiting that they are getting something like a mobile website, so it is easier to register a release via smartphone. Wonder why they don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating! I must chack it out as soon as I have a minute! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds pretty interesting--i may look it up--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds interesting, but it's been ages since I bought a paper book. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's a cool idea. Interesting to see where it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea. I keep meaning to do it. Will save your link, so I can set it up soon.

    Now which book to choose...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing idea. I've never heard of it before. Thanks. I'm saving the link to read all about it.

    Nas

    ReplyDelete